• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Djite powers Reds to third Grand Final

Adelaide United have progressed into the A-League Grand Final after they defeated Melbourne City 4-1 on Friday night at Coopers Stadium.

Bruce Djite scored a double for the hosts — including a stunner for the opener — while Dylan McGowan and Pablo Sanchez added to the scoresheet. Nick Fitzgerald scored the sole goal for the hosts.

Both sides came into the match unchanged, with Adelaide rested after a week off last week, while Melbourne City came in following a victory over Perth Glory last week.

Adelaide had the first chance of the match in the 1st minute, after Craig Goodwin fired his free-kick into Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen.

In the resulting counter attack, Melbourne City had their first chance of the game through Anthony Caceres, however Adelaide goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic saved the shot.

Adelaide had another chance from a free-kick in the 13th minute, however this time Isaias could only make the top netting of the goal.

The hosts came close in the 21st minute, when Sorensen made a diving save to prevent Bruce Kamau.

Sorensen again stood strong two minutes later, after he stopped a Bruce Djite close-range shot.

Match Details Full match details »


Yellow Card36′ C.GoodwinGoal48′ B.DjiteYellow Card57′ I.La RoccaPenalty60′ B.Djite (Pen)Yellow Card68′ S.MaukGoal88′ D.McGowanGoal90′ P.Sanchez Alberto

In the 25th minute, Nick Fitzgerald fired a powerful shot into Eugene Galekovic.

Marcelo Carrusca’s curled shot went just wide of the post in the 31st minute.

Two minutes later, Adelaide very nearly scored through Bruce Kamau, however Jack Clisby managed to clear the ball to prevent it from crossing the line.

Shortly after the break in the 47th minute, Adelaide opened the scoring through Bruce Djite, who provided a stunner that beat goalkeeper Sorensen. Djite curled his shot first-time, which could not be kept out by a diving Sorensen.

Referee Strebre Delovski pointed to the spot in the 58th minute, after Jack Clisby brought down Bruce Kamau. Bruce Djite converted the penalty and notched his second goal of the match, putting the hosts one foot into the next week’s Grand Final.

Nick Fitzgerald brought one back for the visitors in the 71st minute, after he placed his shot past Eugene Galekovic. The goal brought Melbourne City back into the game and set up an entertaining last 20 minutes.

Four minutes later, Craig Goodwin blasted a powerful shot at goal, however it took a deflection and went out for a corner.

Pablo Sanchez had a header cleared off the line by City’s Marc Marino in the 86th minute.

From the resulting corner, Dylan McGowan scored the sealer for Adelaide, after he volleyed past Sorensen. The goal sent the home crowd into pandemonium and sent United into a home Grand Final, reward for their in-form second half of the season.

In the 3rd minute of injury time, Pablo Sanchez scored another goal for the hosts, after he shot from a Bruce Djite cross. The goal further consolidated the result and added more confidence leading into the Grand Final next week.

Adelaide now progress into the Grand Final, with their opponents to be decided in the Semi Final on Sunday afternoon between Western Sydney Wanderers and Brisbane Roar.

About the author

avatarTim is a journalism student with a love for the game. He doesn't mind Sydney FC, Panathinaikos and Arsenal.

Share this article