• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Glory smash ill-disciplined Mariners

Perth Glory have trounced a disappointing Central Coast Mariners 4-0 tonight at nib Stadium, with the Mariners reduced to nine men in the second-half thanks to the sendings-off of Luis Garcia and Mitch Austin.

The Mariners racked up six yellow cards and two red cards in the contest, while the Glory registered no bookings for the entire match. Conversely, Perth found the back of the net four times, through Diego Castro, Chris Harold and twice via Andy Keogh.

After Sydney’s loss to Wellington and Victory’s capitulation at the hands of Brisbane earlier on Saturday, Perth came into the game knowing that they were assured of retaining 6th place on the ladder, regardless of the result against the Mariners. A win, though, would push the Glory past Victory and into 5th place.

A comfortable 2-0 win last week over Newcastle meant that Kenny Lowe made just two forced changes to his starting line-up, with Aryn Williams (concussion) and Nebojsa Marinkovic (hamstring) replaced by Marc Warren and Richard Garcia respectively.

For the visitors, a disappointing loss to Melbourne Victory at home in round 23 was a tough precursor to a trip across the Nullarbor. Tony Walmsley, though, made just two changes, with Michael Neill (suspended) and Liam Rose excluded for Jacob Poscoliero and club captain Nick Montgomery.

The Glory were unbackable favourites coming into the game, and they didn’t waste any time asserting their dominance on the contest when, just four minutes into the game, they took an early lead.

Chris Harold, who was heading away from goal with the ball, was brought down from behind by a reckless Tomislav Uskok tackle on the left-hand side of the penalty area. Referee Adam Fielding had no hesitation in awarding the spot kick, which the in-form Diego Castro duly dispatched to make it 1-0 to Perth.

The Mariners settled well after going behind, and in the 17th minute, they were just inches away from an equaliser.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Sat Mar 12, 2016, 9:40 PMStadium HBF ParkAttendance 11,127Referee Adam Fielding


Penalty4′ D.Castro (Pen)Goal53′ A.KeoghPenalty67′ A.Keogh (Pen)Goal90′ C.Harold

Central Coast

Yellow Card4′ T.UskokYellow Card37′ M.AustinSecond Yellow Card49′ M.AustinYellow Card51′ L.GarciaSecond Yellow Card54′ L.GarciaYellow Card65′ N.MontgomeryYellow Card85′ J.RoseYellow Card87′ J.Bingham

Luis Garcia delivered a perfect curling ball — from a free kick — across the heads of the onrushing players, with Roy O’Donovan managing to stretch and get a toe to the ball. With Ante Covic only able to watch, the ball trickled agonisingly wide of the post for a goal kick.

The remainder of the half provided little in the way of clear-cut chances, as the Mariners continued to provide plenty going forward, in the face of a Glory side who were determined, but struggling, to put the game out of reach before the interval.

Andy Keogh did have a good chance to double the lead in the 38th minute, but his free header from a Diego Castro free kick thundered back off the near post.

Following the break, it went from average to bad to worse for the Mariners in the space of ten minutes.

A 47th minute header corner allowed Alex Grant to head back across goal, with Liam Rose clearing the ball off the line to save a certain goal.

Two minutes later, though, and Mitch Austin would be given his marching orders. After earning a booking in the first half for sliding in, Austin repeated the foul on Josh Risdon, giving referee Fielding no choice but to send the pacy winger off.

The Mariners would be made to pay four minutes later, when Andy Keogh popped up to head home a perfectly weighted Josh Risdon cross. From a short corner, Risdon played a one-two with Gyorgy Sandor before delivering an inch-perfect ball across goal for the Irish striker to bury past Paul Izzo.

It would get worse for the Central Coast a minute later when Luis Garcia, who’d picked up a yellow in the 51st minute for remonstrating with the referee over Austin’s second booking, was also given his marching orders for a second bookable offence, after diving in late on Krisztian Vadocz.

In the 65th minute, Perth would make it 3-0 after Nick Montgomery felled Risdon in the area. With Castro having been substituted four minutes prior, Keogh stepped up and sent Izzo the wrong way to send the 11,127 fans in attendance into raptures.

With nine men, it was impossible for the Mariners to offer anything going forward for the remainder of the game.

Perth began to rest some of their key players, with Richard Garcia and Alex Grant joining Castro on the bench for the final twenty minutes of the match.

Vadocz had a chance to add a fourth as the game ticked over into stoppage time, but after a clever give-and-go on the edge of the box with substitute Mitch Oxborrow, the Hungarian could only watch as the ball drifted just wide of the far post.

Chris Harold would finally add the fourth for the Glory deep into additional time, heading the ball past a diving Izzo from another superb Josh Risdon cross.

The Glory now sit 5th on the A-League table, and travel to Wellington to face the Phoenix next Sunday. The Mariners will need to lick their wounds before next Saturday, when they host local rivals Sydney FC at Central Coast Stadium.


Ultimate A-League ‘Player of the Season’ Votes

Votes are held for the final 5 rounds of the season.
Final tallies will be revealed after round 27.

About the author

avatarJustin is a passionate football fan, and the Editor-in-chief of Ultimate A-League.

Share this article