• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Carrusca shines in Reds’ win over Glory

Adelaide United have held off a determined, ten-man Glory side to register a 3-1 win and jump into the A-League top six.

A goal to Sergio Cirio canceled out an early own goal from Tarek Elrich, before a red card to Alex Grant opened the door for the Reds to add two second-half goals, via Marcelo Carrusca and Craig Goodwin.

After losing 2-1 in Brisbane last week, the Glory wasted no time in making squad changes as soon as the January transfer window opened. Guyon Fernandez had his contract terminated by mutual consent, paving the way for the return of Andy Keogh to the senior squad.

For the Reds, a 0-0 draw with Western Sydney in round 13 only brought about the one change from Guillermo Amor, with Eli Babalj taking Mate Dugandzic’s place on the substitutes bench.

It was the Glory, though, who started on the front foot, scoring within the opening 6 minutes.

Richard Garcia made an enterprising run down the left wing, tight to the touchline. A smart cross toward the penalty spot found Tarek Elrich marking Chris Harold, and it was the former — under pressure from the latter — who unfortunately put the ball past Eugene Galekovic for an own goal.

Harold could’ve added a second for the home side in the 14th minute, after some clever lead up work by a bustling Garcia and an in-form Diego Castro put the ball at his feet. From point-blank range, though, Harold spooned his shot up and over the bar, in what was one of the misses of the season.

Perth’s early forays forward didn’t dampen Adelaide’s spirits, though, as the Reds started to dominate the match from that point on.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Sat Jan 9, 2016, 9:40 PMStadium HBF ParkAttendance 9,009Referee Strebre Delovski


Own Goal6′ T.ElrichRed Card45′ A.Grant


Goal27′ S.CirioYellow Card35′ J.ElseyGoal47′ M.CarruscaYellow Card74′ M.CarruscaGoal90′ C.GoodwinYellow Card90′ G.Mells

Bruce Djite, in particular, was looking up for contest. Having not scored since round 18 of the 2014/15 season, the Adelaide targetman went close in both the 17th and 24th minutes, denied by a Risdon cut-out and an inaccurate shot respectively.

With Adelaide dominating possession, it was simply a matter of time until they equalised.

In the 27th minute, some tight teamwork from Marcelo Carrusca and Djite allowed the Argentinian to receive the ball near the by-line and pass across the face for Sergio Cirio to steer home.

The Reds continued to push, but the Glory almost snatched a goal against the run of play in the 37th minute.

Another great run from Garcia allowed the Glory captain to slide the ball to a position just out from the far post. Somehow, though, and unmarked Castro could only manage to put the ball onto the post and out for a goal kick — a second horrible miss in the half for Perth.

Keogh, too, had a chance to score on the counter-attack, but delayed his shot too long allowing Dylan McGowan to steal the ball away from under his feet.

Then, in the shadow of half-time and with Perth starting to work their way back into the contest, the Glory were reduced to ten-men.

A raking, cross-field ball from Carrusca in the last minute of the half released Goodwin on the right, and with a superb first touch, the winger was away, one-on-one with Covic. Glory centre half Alex Grant came in behind Goodwin as he broke away, clipped his heels, and left referee Strebre Delovski with little hesitation in handing out a red card.

From the resulting free kick, Covic made an excellent save to deny Goodwin’s ferocious hit, ensuring his undermanned side would go into the break on level terms.

Covic couldn’t keep Adelaide at bay in the second half, though, as Carrusca put the Reds in front just two minutes after the interval.

A ball from Isaias to Carrusca, a timely pirouette on the ball, and a jink to get around Mitch Oxborrow allowed the star midfielder to get into the box on his right boot and drill a shot across Covic and inside the far post to immediately put the Reds on top.

Adelaide weren’t having it all their own way, however. A breakaway for Perth was led by Keogh, who put in an early cross to Harold at the back post, whose goal-bound shot was deflected wide of the goal.

Around the hour mark, Adelaide turned up the heat again. Isaias, Carrusca, Jeggo and Djite all fired in shots at Ante Covic’s goal, but the Glory custodian was up to the task on each occasion.

Josh Risdon showed that all was still not lost for the Glory in the 72nd minute, as his swerving, curling effort from outside the penalty area flashed just wide of the post, much to the frustration of the 9,009 fans at nib Stadium.

Minutes later, as Perth continued to search for an equaliser, Keogh went close on the turn, but couldn’t quite keep his shot down from the edge of the box.

Substitute Pablo Sanchez had a chance to put the result beyond doubt as the game ticked over into additional time, but Goodwin’s ball across the face of goal couldn’t be kept down by the Spaniard at the back post.

Adelaide did finally seal the result deep into injury time, when Craig Goodwin beat Gyorgy Sandor and fired past Covic at his near post to make it 3-1, and extend Adelaide’s unbeaten run to six games.

The Reds now host Central Coast Mariners next Saturday at Coopers Stadium, whilst the Glory take on Melbourne City later the same night.


Ultimate A-League ‘Player of the Season’ Votes
3 Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)
2 Isaias (Adelaide United)
1 Craig Goodwin (Adelaide United)

About the author

avatarJustin is a passionate football fan, and the Editor-in-chief of Ultimate A-League.

Share this article