• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Victory take out 2015 FFA Cup Final

Melbourne Victory have taken out the 2015 FFA Cup tonight with a 2-0 win in front of 15,098 fans at AAMI Park.

First-half goals to Oliver Bozanic and Besart Berisha were enough for the reigning A-League Champions to add a third major trophy in the past six months to the cabinet.

The game started brightly and, in just the 16th minute, the Victory had the ball in the back of the net off the boot of Barbarouses. The goal was eventually — and correctly — disallowed due to a Victory player obstructing the goalkeeper from an offside position.

Eventually, the Victory would strike again, and this time it would stand. A cross from the by-line by Gui Finkler in the 35th minute saw Fahid Ben Khalfallah force the ball onto the post. The ball ricocheted out into the path of Oliver Bozanic, who made no mistake as he guided the ball home to make it 1-0 to the home side.

In the 42nd minute, the Melbourne fans would have reason to get excited, as their team extended the lead to 2-0. A lovely through ball from Victory captain Carl Valeri allowed Besart Berisha to fire home across Ante Covic and into the far corner. The goal meant that Berisha successfully scored in each of the rounds of this year’s cup that the Victory were part of.

Perth came out a different team after the break, and i the 49th minute, they almost pulled a goal back. A clever lay-off from Marc Warren allowed former Victory midfielder Diogo Ferreira to blast a first-time shot at goal. The ball beat Vukovic but couldn’t beat the upright, with the ball safely bouncing away from goal.

The Glory continued to press, with captain Richard Garcia the next to go close, firing his shot over the bar in the 61st minute.

Then, in the 74th minute, Perth had their best chance yet. Diego Castro, from close range, should’ve at least forced a save from Vukovic, but somehow he spooned his shot up and over the bar.

Two minutes later, Marinkovic would force a save from Vukovic, with the Melbourne stopper tipping the Serbian’s shot over the crossbar.

Victory thought they’d sewn up the game in the 81st minute, when a three-man attack on Ante Covic ended with Daniel Georgievski scoring at the bac post. The Macedonian international celebrated with the Victory fans, but was soon brought down to earth by the realisation that he had been in an offside position when he side-footed the ball home.

Just like he had in the A-League Grand Final in May, Valeri was given his marching orders by the referee for a second bookable offence in the dying stages of the game.

In the end, it would make no difference to the result as Melbourne clung to their 2-0 advantage until the final whistle, sending the parochial crowd into raptures.

About the author

avatarJustin is a passionate football fan, and the Editor-in-chief of Ultimate A-League.

Share this article