• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Sydney, Wellington play out bore draw

In what was quite a dull affair, Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix played out a 0-0 draw at Allianz stadium on Thursday night.

A game which was largely played in a stop and start manner, highlighted by the extraordinary foul count (29-14), never hit any real heights.

An unchanged Sydney lineup from their match against the Glory last week, had the best chance of the opening half hour thanks primarily to the awareness of marquee man Filip Holosko.

The Sky Blue attacker pounced on a casual Wellington defence, dispossessing them of the ball before forcing a strong save from Glen Moss. Shortly after, Roly Bonevacia threatened Janjetovic’s goal after taking advantage of a mix up between the centre back pairing of Sydney, however he sliced his shot wide from outside of the box.

The focus was briefly taken away from the football on the park as the Cove, Sydney Fc’s active supporter group, responded to an article published in The Daily Telegraph about the banning of 198 football fans, with a banner stating “You can name us, try and shame us, but you’ll never break us.”

Later in the half, Shane Smeltz was played out wide by Holosko before eventually cutting in and nutmegging Manny Muscat, before his shot deflected past the post.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Thu Nov 26, 2015, 8:00 PMStadium Allianz StadiumAttendance 9,253Referee Chris Beath


Yellow Card14′ R.BonevaciaYellow Card75′ T.DoyleYellow Card85′ L.FentonYellow Card90′ V.Lia

The second half began with an early shout for a penalty, which Andy Harper in the commentary box described as “a clear foul”, however was waved off by official Chris Beath to the disgust of the Sydney faithful. Arnold became increasingly frustrated with the slow build up play of his midfield, and in the 60th minute he brought on both Brandon O’Neill and Andrew Hoole to replace Milos Dimitrijevic and Milos Ninkovic.

Throughout the course of the game Wellington continued to disappoint from the various set piece opportunities they had, but they came close in the 70th minute as a flick on header from Roy Krishna fell to Alex Rodriguez at the back post as his effort rattled against the post.

The disjointed and mostly uneventful contest sparked the Cove into action once again late in the second half, showcasing a banner directed towards the FFA, claiming they are “standing silent as our rights are trampled.”

In the final five minutes Sydney had the chance to steal it at the death, as Matt Simon gave an exquisite outside of the foot pass into an oncoming Alex Brosque, who outpaced Manny Muscat directing his shot onto the frame of the goal.

Chris Beath signalled the end of a rather forgettable 90 minutes, with Wellington holding on to a well earned point.

Wellington now travels back across the ditch to face Melbourne Victory next Saturday, whilst Sydney faces Newcastle at home in 8 days time.


Ultimate A-League ‘Player of the Season’ Votes
3 Alex Brosque (Sydney FC)
2 Albert Riera (Wellington Phoenix)
1 Matt Jurman (Sydney FC)

About the author

avatarPhilip is an avid player and viewer of the beautiful game.

Share this article