• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Jets soar past City with second-half blitz

Newcastle have done the double over Melbourne teams in the past two weeks, coming from 2-0 behind at half-time to win 3-2 against Melbourne City on Friday night. The result comes a week after they beat Melbourne Victory 1-0 at home.

Goals from Aaron Mooy and Stefan Mauk saw City go into the tunnel at half-time with a 2-0 lead, but the home side imploded in the second half as a brace from Trifunovic and a rare goal from Ben Kantarovski saw a remarkable turnaround at AAMI Park, in front of over 7,000 fans.

It was no surprise to see Aaron Mooy on the scoresheet early. The in-form midfielder turned David Carney on the edge of the box before firing his shot at goal. The effort may have been marginally going wide or heading toward the upright, but it took a deflection off Jason Hoffman’s knee which left Mark Birighitti stranded.

It was another deflection that beat Birighitti when City doubled its lead later in the half. Stefan Mauk was the beneficiary of a sublime string of passes from midfield in the 22nd minute, including being involved in a one-two combination with teammate David Williams on the edge of the box.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Fri Oct 30, 2015, 7:40 PMStadium AAMI ParkAttendance 7,209Referee Jarred Gillett

Going into the break, and City were well and truly on top and in complete control of the contest.

However, it was a completely different Melbourne City that came out in the second half, and Enver Alivodic was more than happy to take advantage on the left flank as he consistently looked the most dangerous player for the Jets.

Not unexpectedly, when the cross to create the first goal of the half for Jets initially came in, it was off the boot of Alivodic. His cross sailed just over the man at the back post, but the return cross was met well by Ben Kantarovski who headed powerfully past Thomas Sorensen.

Newcastle then equalised in somewhat controversial fashion in the 74th minute, as substitute Wade Dekker was penalised for a handball in the box. Replay suggested that the sliding challenge Dekker applied to block a cross had unfortunately struck his arm and, after some hesitation, referee Jarred Gillett pointed to the spot. Milos Trifunovic stepped up and converted with aplomb into the roof of the net.

With a shade over ten minutes left, the comeback was complete for Newcastle, as Trifunovic scored his second goal – heading home David Carney’s free-kick from the right flank.

City huffed and puffed in the final moments, but couldn’t find an equaliser as Gillett blew the whistle to signal a famous come-from-behind win for the Jets.

While the comeback will leave plenty of smiles on Novocastrians faces, Melbourne City fans will be scratching their heads at how they could lose on home soil from such a winnable position at half-time.


Ultimate A-League ‘Player of the Season’ Votes
3 Enver Alivodic (Newcastle Jets)
2 Milos Trifunovic (Newcastle Jets)
1 Aaron Mooy (Melbourne City)

About the author

avatarBorn and raised in Melbourne, Bill is a student journalist at Monash University and life-time fan of the round ball game.

Share this article