• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

FFA Cup Quarter Finals Matchday One Wrap

489540494It’s that time of the competition where heroes are made and legendary teams are slain, where 90 minutes can define the difference between a fairytale and underperforming – of course, we’re talking about the FFA Cup!

Three teams from Victoria and one from South Australia took part in two do-or-die Quarter final clashes in the Garden State, with the prize of reaching the semi finals at hand.

Melbourne Victory 3-1 Adelaide United

Adelaide United will not be retaining the FFA Cup after a thorough demolition by long-time rivals Melbourne Victory in their quarter final clash at AAMI park.

A raucuous home crowd of 10,521 fans made their way to the heart of the city for some midweek football action and they were treated to an absolute blinder of a goal courtesy of a Finkler free kick just ten minuntes in.

Some sloppy defending would see the holders concede a second goal just on the brink of half-time after Fahid Ben Khalfallah was unleashed on the left wing.

The winger found kiwi forward Kosta Barbarouses at the near post and he put the ball away with aplomb past a helpless Eugene Galekovic.

Besart Berisha did his best to get on the scoresheet in a slow second half, however his chip was parried clear by Galekovic once more as the home side went for the killer blow.

However with 12 minutes on the clock, Daniel Georgievski handed Adelaide a lifeline after impeding a player in the box, and conceding a penalty in the process.

Marcelo Carrusca stepped up and it was back to game on for the visitors.

Talismanic striker Archie Thompson was brought on a minute later and quickly became the brunt of Adelaide’s frustrations, first being brought down Galekovic for a penalty which Berisha converted with ease and secondly, with minutes left on the clock, was hacked down by Michael Marrone.

The second challenge will leave the Victory concerned for the striker’s career as Thompson was stretchered off grasping his knee.

With the final whistle, the Victory will go one better than last year and guarantee a new FFA Cup champion.

Hume City 3-2 Oakleigh Cannons (a.e.t)

The fairytale continues for Hume City after their side endured another 120 minutes of cup football at ABD Stadium in front of just over 1,500 fans.

On a chilly Victorian night, both sides were looking to make history in the all-Victorian quarter final, with a shot at the FFA Cup final at stake.

The visitors would strike first however with Sean Rooney finding the back after just three minutes.

Theo Markelis would show his pedigree however by nabbing a goal back for the home side just a quarter of an hour later, but Dean Piemonte would put the visitors back in the ascendency on 34 minutes.

It looked like the dream would be over for Hume City as the side pressed on for an equaliser until it was that man Markelis who stepped up again to put the sides level.

Both sides pushed and pushed for a winner in the 90 minutes, so naturally the game went to extra-time.

Almost to script, it would be extra-time specialist Marcus Shroen who would seal the deal for Hume City however, after Carlos Loaiza fumbled the ball directly to the striker who poked the ball home from close range with just two minutes of regulation time to play.

About the author

avatarKris is a freelance sports journalist, a two-time WA media guild award winner, and podcast host and writer for Ultimate A-League.

Share this article