• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Hometown favourite De Silva in FFA Cup fairytale

FFACup_QF_PER_v_MVCHometown hero Danny De Silva was amongst the goals, with double-scoring Andy Keogh and Nebojsa Marinkovic completing a 4-2 win in a spiteful FFA Cup Quarter Final encounter in front of 3,899 fans at nib Stadium. 

The highly respected teenager would nab an extra time goal to swing the momentum in the home sides favour deep into injury time, when the sides were deadlocked at 2-2.

The visitors would start without talismanic striker Archie Thompson, who injured his hamstring during the warm up.

Youssouf Hersi had a clear opportunity in the early stanza, with the ball falling to the winger just outside the box with an open goal at his mercy, but the Dutchman surprisingly blasted the ball over.

The Glory would get off to the worst possible start with the visitors opening the scoring in the 8th minute, courtesy of Fahid Ben Khalfallah with a rocket of a shot from 24 meters.

Hersi would make amends, despite fluffing another shot at goal minutes later, when he was pulled down in the box by Leigh Broxham. Andy Keogh stepped up and converted to make it 1-1 on 14 minutes. The Irishman sent Nathan Coe the wrong way to notch his fourth goal of the FFA Cup and his 8th for the season in all competitions.

Berisha had the chance to increase his ignominy with the Perth faithful minutes later, but the prolific striker snapped his shot wide left after having the ball put on a platter by Ben Khalfallah.

Hersi would continue to cause the Victory problems and, in the 25th minute, he earned a free kick off Daniel Georgievski, but the resulting free kick was knocked away.

With 29 minutes played, the Glory very nearly had the lead, with Hersi cutting back a delightful ball across the face of the six yard box, with Coe snatching it from the feet of an onrushing Keogh.

The Victory were handed a blow shortly before half time, when Besart Berisha was tackled strongly on the left wing and was subsequently substituted off with a suspected groin injury.

The Glory came out the more energetic of the two sides, adding again through the flanks whilst Victory looked to attack on the counter.

Keogh very nearly gave the home side the lead from his head after a Garcia cross in the 54th minute, however only succeeded in winning a throw-in.

The glory continued to press and after a series of bobbled shots in the box in the sixtieth minute, the Glory very nearly again led, however Djulbic’s header ballooned over the bar.

Andy Keogh also blew a golden opportunity, Garcia with a deft lob over the Victory defence but the Glory striker again headed over.

Minutes later, and Ben Khalfallah again had a cracking shot just go over the Glory goal as the visitors went on the attack.

With ten minutes of the second half remaining, Kenny Lowe injected Danny De Silva into the fray to the rapturous applause of the Glory faithful.

And in the 82nd minute, the Glory had the breakthrough that their efforts deserved, after a well won corner.

Scott Jamieson found the head of who else but Andy Keogh who rose to head the ball powerfully past Coe.

Things went from bad to worse for the Victory as Matthew Delpierre was taken off with a hamstring injury, with Rashid Mahazi coming on to replace the Frenchman.

But against the run of play the visitors snatched an equaliser, with substitute Gui Finker curling in a gorgeous free kick.

More drama persisted deep into injury time after a ball from corner fell to Youssouf Hersi whose shot smashed off the upright and onto the line below before bobbling out.

Extra time loomed, and just minutes in, Keogh nearly made it a hattrick for the second time in ten days after finding space during a set piece, but he couldn’t make the most of the opportunity.

Nebojsa Marinkovic was brought into the action at the break, and he unleashed Jamie MacLaren whose connecting lob beat Nathan Coe but floated over the bar as well.

And yellow was not just the colour of the jerseys that Daniel Georgievski saw, after he hacked down Jamieson just outside the box in the 99th minute for a second time, earning him an early bath.

Then with 103 minutes on the clock, Keogh turned provider for the breakthrough, unleashing Danny De Silva for his first ever Perth Glory goal and put the onus back on the Victory.

They almost hit back after winning a free kick on the edge of the box, with Gui Finkler again testing Vukovic who fingertipped it over the bar just before half time of extra time.

The Glory were not content to sit back and defend and MacLaren flashed a shot wide in the opening stanza of the second half.

Barbarouses very nearly tied it all up after a slick counter attack just minutes later, after working well with Ben Khalfallah but sliced his shot to the left of the oncoming Danny Vukovic.

With 3 minutes gone in the second half of injury time, the Glory could have sewn it up through Jamie MacLaren but the young striker slammed his shot straight at Coe and the resulting corner was headed over.

It was end to end as both sides went looking for a goal, but Glory would go for the jugular, and Keogh broke the offside trap once more to turn provider as he unleashed Nebojsa Marinkovic who in turned smacked it into the back of the net to give the home side an unassailable lead.

The visitors in the meantime went down to nine men after Leijer was shown a second yellow for remonstrating with the Referee.

The Victory had a couple of tame shots on goal in the dying minutes, but it was the Glory who cemented the last available berth in 2014 FFA Cup Semi Final.

About the author

avatarKris is a freelance sports journalist, a two-time WA media guild award winner, and podcast host and writer for Ultimate A-League.

Share this article