• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Djite fires Reds to Suncorp victory

Adelaide United have upset reigning-champions Brisbane Roar this afternoon, coming from behind to defeat the Roar 2-1 at Suncorp Stadium. Bruce Djite levelled the game with a thunderous strike following Thomas Broich’s opener, with an own goal by James Donachie the decisive moment of the second half.

Adelaide manager Josep Gombau settled on starting former Victory player James Jeggo in his midfield core, with Craig Goodwin at full back and Pablo Sanchez Alberto completing the Reds’ Spanish triumvirate.

For the home side, Mike Mulvey opted for new signing Mensur Kurtishi at the point of the attack, and was forced into a change at the back with incumbent goalkeeper Michael Theo out with a wrist injury for the next 8 weeks. In his place was former England youth international Jamie Young, who wasted no time in making an impression.

In the 3rd minute of the game, a fast break down the left wing by Sergio Cirio concluded with a deft cross into the path of Marcelo Carrusca. The Argentine’s point-blank header was expertly tipped over by Young, much to the relief of the 16,000 strong crowd at Suncorp Stadium.

Adelaide looked positive in the early stages, but were vulnerable on the counter-attack. Thomas Broich looked to exploit that on multiple occasions in the first half an hour, finding space on the left and causing problems for Dylan McGowan at right back.

The two-time Johnny Warren medallist would have his reward in the 20th minute, with his free-kick effort drifting in at the far post after Matt McKay had earned a set piece when he was felled by Sanchez. Credit should go to Kurtishi, whose clever fake as the free kick drifted past him would’ve caused Eugene Galekovic to be unsighted in the Adelaide goal.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Sun Oct 12, 2014, 5:00 PMStadium Suncorp StadiumAttendance 16,195Referee Ben Williams


Goal20′ T.BroichYellow Card27′ M.KurtishiYellow Card71′ M.McKayRed Card72′ M.McKay


Yellow Card17′ J.JeggoYellow Card19′ I.SanchezGoal33′ B.DjiteOwn Goal56′ J.DonachieYellow Card57′ N.BoogaardYellow Card90′ M.Marrone

It would only take 13 minutes for the enterprising Reds to pull the Roar back, however. A mistake in transition by Liam Miller gifted possession to Adelaide, with Bruce Djite taking a touch, turning and shooting from 25 metres out. Young had no chance to make a save, as the ball thumped into the back of the net to make it 1-1.

The final 10 minutes of the first half were end-to-end, as both teams pushed forward with attacking intent. Pablo Sanchez went close in the 37th minute, but his one touch effort flew narrowly wide of the far post. Minutes later, at the other end, Dimitri Petratos did likewise, as his powerful effort drifted wide at the back stick.

Adelaide started the better of the two sides after the break, with Petratos’ speculative effort on the fly in the 50th minute being the only highlight for the Roar early on.

The Reds would take advantage of that in the 56th minute, with some great transition play by Isaias and Jeggo finishing with Cirio on the right wing, who danced around his defender and fired a low cross across the face of goal. Unfortunately for the Roar, a lunging effort at a clearance by James Donachie only resulted in the ball nestling in the back of the net for an own goal.

Adelaide thought they would have a chance to go two goals clear, when a chipped ball into the box by Pablo Sanchez in the 63rd minute saw Cirio impeded as he tried to head the ball toward goal. Referee Williams had a good look at the incident, but waved away the Adelaide players’ protests.

The equation would become even more difficult for the Roar in the 72nd minute, when Matt McKay, after being denied a free kick, pursued the whistle-blower at the next break in play. McKay was initially given a yellow card, which was almost immediately upgraded to a red, presumably for some derogatory comments aimed at the referee.

Djite almost sealed it for Adelaide in the 74th minute, when a cross from Craig Goodwin found the tall striker in space in the box. His headed effort on goal should’ve been better, as it crashed off the crossbar, allowing Young to safely collect.

Mulvey brought on Lustica and Henrique for the last 20 minutes, hoping they would provide a spark to his undermanned side. Whilst Henrique, in particular, was at the heart of a fast-finishing performance by the Roar in the final minutes of the game, it was all for naught as the Reds held on for a hard-earned victory.

About the author

avatarJustin is a passionate football fan, and the Editor-in-chief of Ultimate A-League.

Share this article