• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Glory see off Mariners amid controversy

PERvCCMIn controversial circumstances, Perth Glory defeated Central Coast 3-1 on Saturday night in Jacob Burns’ final home game as a Perth Glory player.

The Mariners faced off against a recently energised Glory, with Kenny Lowe releasing a side featuring two ‘injured’ players, William Gallas and Rostyn Griffiths.

In just the 8th minute, Burns was deemed by referee Stephen Lucas to have been felled inside the penalty area, with Steven McGarry converting the subsequent spot-kick.

Ten minutes later, and the Mariners would be back on level terms. A poor challenge on Kim Seung-Yong by the Glory defence led to another penalty, this time at the other end of the park. Nick Fitzgerald assumed penalty taking duties for the Central Coast and made no mistake, tying the scores up at 1-1.

Leading into half-time, both teams were battling for that decisive goal, with Rostyn Griffiths missing a quality headed opportunity for the Glory in the 36th minute.

It would take until the 71st minute for either team to break the deadlock. A period of forward pressure by the Glory allowed a cross to be delivered expertly onto the head of Sidnei Sciola, who buried the opportunity under Liam Reddy from close range. It was no less than the Brazilian deserved, after a tireless performance on the left wing for Kenny Lowe’s side.

It all seemed too much for the Mariners. as Kim Seung-Yong left the field with a possible hamstring injury shortly afterwards. The Glory played harder and harder, faster and faster, proving to the fans, Lowe and themselves that they wanted this match.

Perth would seal the points in the 86th minute in an odd piece of play. A through ball toward the feet of an offside Sidnei was intercepted by Zac Anderson, whose touch inadvertently found its way past Reddy and into the back of the net. Despite the assistant raising his flag for offside, referee Lucas deemed the goal legitimate, leaving the Mariners’ bench scratching their heads.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Sat Apr 5, 2014, 9:45 PMStadium HBF ParkAttendance 11,127Referee Stephen Lucas


Penalty8′ S.McGarry (Pen)Goal71′ S.SciolaYellow Card79′ J.ClisbyYellow Card82′ R.GriffithsOwn Goal86′ Z.Anderson

Central Coast

Yellow Card7′ J.HutchinsonPenalty19′ N.Fitzgerald (Pen)
Yellow Card23′ E.BosnarYellow Card26′ M.Simon

In the final moments, a goal to Bernie Ibini was incorrectly ruled out for offside, with replays showing the Mariners striker was at least three metres onside at the point when the ball was passed to him.

In the end, a determined Glory outfit looking to send off their captain with a win, coupled with some refereeing blunders, ensured Perth would jump off the bottom of the A-League table, and keep alive their hopes of avoiding the Wooden Spoon.

Kenny Lowe stated after the match that you could see “the belief” in his team’s face, as their game plan was being executed perfectly, and in the process scraping themselves off of the bottom of the A-League ladder. Mariners coach Phil Moss believed that their will be a few boys who will be keeping their head down leading into next weeks match against Brisbane, if they wanted to secure their place.

About the author

avatarSimon is a freelance journalist, and a contributor to Ultimate A-League.

Share this article