• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Brisbane cruise past struggling Perth

BRIvPERBrisbane overturned their recent poor form and pulled seven points clear at the top of the A-League table after defeating Perth Glory 3-1 at Suncorp Stadium.

Both sides came into the match off successive losses but Mike Mulvey made just the one change, with Dimitri Petratos replacing Henrique in Brisbane’s starting line-up. With Michael Thwaite suspended, Perth boss Kenny Lowe restored Jack Clisby to the first team, alongside Brandon O’Neill and Jacob Burns for Riley Woodcock and Steven McGarry.

The visitors started brightly, with Sidnei taking advantage of a Vukovic clearance that bounced over Franjic to force a second-minute save from Michael Theo. The resulting corner saw Brandon O’Neill head straight at Theo, before Sidnei had a great chance to score a minute later.

The winger was put through on goal by Harold but he delayed on the ball and cut onto his weaker foot, resulting in a tame shot straight at Theo.

Brisbane’s first opportunity came in the seventh minute courtesy of Petratos, whipping a first time shot from a Franjic pass that flew harmlessly wide of Vukovic’s goal.

The Roar began to dominate possession, with Franjic and Petratos particularly active on the right, but there was little cohesion to their play and chances were few and far between.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Fri Feb 28, 2014, 8:00 PMStadium Suncorp StadiumAttendance 10,896Referee Ben Williams


Goal57′ I.FranjicGoal80′ L.MillerGoal85′ T.Broich

Still, Petratos sent a warning to the Perth defence with a powerful free-kick that flew just over, and the visitors were fortunate not to be a goal down in the 33rd minute.

McKay sent Broich in on Brisbane’s left wing, and his accurate pass was begging for a finish from just yards out. But Petratos failed to capitalise on a static Perth defence, halting his run towards goal at the exact wrong moment, meaning the chance was lost.

Harold miscued a shooting chance before scuffing a swivelled attempt at Theo and that was as good as it got for the visitors as the half closed with Brisbane the more likely side.

Matt McKay fired an effort towards goal early in the second half which required Vukovic to tip over at full stretch, before Petratos volleyed straight at the Glory ‘keeper and Broich’s dangerous attempt was blocked by O’Neill.

Perth defended resolutely but the constant pressure finally told in the 56th minute, as Thomas Broich’s free-kick picked out Franjic at the far post who powered a header home to make it 1-0.

Kenny Lowe responded with the introduction of Sernas and McGarry for Marinkovic and Griffiths, and it almost paid immediate dividends when Sidnei played a ball to Sernas in the box but the substitute was unable to get the necessary connection.

Still, Brisbane had the momentum, and almost doubled their lead when Broich’s blocked shot fell to Berisha inside the box, yet the Albanian’s resulting shot was denied by the outstretched leg of Vukovic.

It wouldn’t matter, as Brisbane scored their second in the 80th minute, albeit in calamitous fashion. An O’Neill slip gifted Miller and Berisha a two-on-one against Vukovic. The pair almost fluffed the chance through two miscued passes before Miller worked his way around the goalkeeper and slammed the ball into the net from point blank range.

Brisbane had their third five minutes later when Broich was fed 25 yards out and, as the Perth defence backed off, the midfielder dispatched a curling effort past the Glory ‘keeper.

Smith’s misplaced pass straight to Shane Smeltz handed the New Zealand striker a goal in the 91st minute, but it was a mere consolation for Perth who are now winless in seven matches.

About the author

avatarJulian is a freelance writer and editor, film festival programmer, and serial podcaster.

Share this article