• Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Add us on Google Plus
  • Subscribe on YouTube
  • Follow us on Instagram

Ten-man Glory see off valiant Phoenix

High flying Perth Glory saw off a valiant late charge by the rising Wellington Phoenix in front of just under ten thousand at nib Stadium tonight, through goals from Daniel De Silva and Andy Keogh, with Roy Krishna scoring a rare goal from the penalty spot for the visitors.

The win places Glory in outright top position for yet another week, with six wins from their first seven matches, confounding critics who believed they would be cellar-dwellers this season.

They got off to the best possible start in front of their home fans, with Youssouf Hersi neatly chipping Tom Doyle, before providing a cross for home product Daniel De Silva.

His first shot ricocheted off Glen Moss, but the rebound hit the Young Socceroos’ chest to give the home side the lead just two minutes from the kickoff.

It would take around twenty minutes for the persistent Glory pressure to pay off again, with Nebojsa Marinkovic narrowly hitting over, but the Phoenix custodian had his number, watching the ball sail harmlessly over the crossbar.

Doyle would almost prove villain again for the visitors, with the left back gifting possession to Hersi, only for the Dutchman to fluff what should have been a certain shot on target with minutes to play in the first half.

Match Details Full match details »

Date/Time Fri Nov 21, 2014, 9:45 PMStadium HBF ParkAttendance 9,223Referee Lucien Laverdure


Yellow Card21′ T.DoyleYellow Card27′ B.SigmundYellow Card77′ V.LiaPenalty84′ R.Krishna (Pen)

The Glory went into the half-time break full of confidence, however, having created the better of the chances, and it wasn’t long until they managed to put some of that dominance onto the scoreboard in the second half.

Just on the hour mark, Josh Risdon powered towards the penalty area before crossing for Glory striker Andy Keogh to score his fifth of the season, with a well placed volley past Moss.

With a two goal buffer, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was all said and done for the Glory, but just three minutes later calamity struck.

Substitute Ruben Zadkovich had lasted seventeen seconds in the fray when his studs up tackle hit Vince Lia, and the former Newcastle and Sydney product was promptly shown a red card by referee Lucien Laverdure.

Despite being down to ten men, the Glory reacted almost instantly, with Nebojsa Marinkovic pulling out the best of saves from Moss, but then suddenly it was the visitors who had all the energy.

Wellington would be given a glimmer of hope in the 83rd minute when Boyd was clumsily brought down in the box by Risdon, with Krishna converting from the spot. However, the home side would hold out through the final ten minutes to secure top spot for another week, with a trip to the hurting Brisbane Roar looming on the horizon.

About the author

avatarKris is a freelance sports journalist, a two-time WA media guild award winner, and podcast host and writer for Ultimate A-League.

Share this article